Understanding Non-Binding Moving Estimates
When you have to deal with moving companies, you will be given quotes like a non-binding
estimate. These are much more common than binding estimates and you should contact your
Fort Lee moving company for direct pricing if they give you this kind of quote. Like binding
estimates, these estimates adhere to specific rules set up by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety
Here is an outline of the important facts you need to know about non-binding estimates:
● Fort Lee moving companies are not allowed to charge you for non-binding estimates or
quotes. These are bids and are not legal contracts. These are given as an estimated
cost only and will not bind your Fort Lee moving company to stick to this price.
In most instances, the final cost is usually higher than the estimate unless stated
otherwise. The finalized cost has to be in accordance with your Fort Lee mover’s
tarriffs. The law needs your mover to collect the charges shown in their tariffs,
regardless of what is stated in your non-binding estimate.
● All non-binding estimates have to be written down and must have an accurate
description of the shipment and all the services to be provided. Any charges need to be
on the service order and also in the bill of lading.
● You must not sign or accept the bill of lading or service order unless your Fort Lee
movers show an estimated amount on every form.
● Your Fort Lee moving company needs to keep their own copy of the non-binding
estimate and keep it next to the bill of lading.
● Fort Lee movers must give clear descriptions of the who shipment along with all the
services they will provide.
● Movers are not allowed to collect more than 110% of the estimated amount on arrival.
● Before loading any of your belongings, movers have the right to refuse you service if
you have additional items not listed down in your non-binding estimate. You need to
make sure that everything is written and included in your estimate. If you ever need to
include more items, you need to notify your Fort Lee moving company and hash out an
agreement before they begin loading their trucks.
● If your Fort Lee movers believe additional services are required in order to complete
your shipment after your items have been loaded, they need to tell you what these
services are before they can act on them. You need to be given 1 hour to choose if you
want the additional services. If the services needed aren’t in your non-binding estimate,
then the mover must deliver your shipment and send you a separate bill for the extra
● If you choose to add additional service once your belongings are loaded, you will be
billed for these services after the move is complete.
● Your Fort Lee moving company is required to keep a record of all the estimates of
charges for every move they have completed for a minimum of one year from the date
they made the initial estimate.